Let’s go over the facts:
* Speaker knew he had multi-drug resistant TB before he left the US.
* With any TB diagnosis, regardless of severity, a ‘highly educated, highly intelligent’ person would not get on a airplane and risk the lives of other people. Given his actions he becomes highly morally responsible for anything that happens to anyone he infected.
* Speaker was encouraged not to leave the country, both for his safety as well as the safety of the traveling public.
* Speaker left the country anyway, possibly exposing innocent people to multi-drug resistant TB.
* While in Europe Speaker learned that he had extensively drug-resistant TB.
* While in Europe Speaker was told to present himself to Italian medical authorities, both for his safety as well as the safety of the traveling public.
* Speaker traveled throughout Europe anyway, possibly exposing innocent people to extensively drug-resistant TB.
* Speaker then flew another long trans-Atlantic flight into Canada because he knew US authorities were looking for him. From there he quietly slithered back to Atlanta like a thief in the night.
* Andrew Speaker repeatedly placed the enjoyment of his wedding above the safety of innocent travelers. This was felony selfish.
“I’m a very well-educated, successful, intelligent person,” he is quoted as saying.
“Just another example of the ‘Me First, Screw You’ attitude in this country,” I have been quoted as saying.
If this fool had been infected by someone else with TB on the flight he would sue the socks off of the airline, the passenger, the flight crew, the food vendor, Budweiser, the pretzel vendor on the plane, Brooks Brothers for making a suit that is not TB resistant, the Italian government, the airport authority, the hospital where the said passenger was diagnosed, the doctor, the WHO, the CDC, and last but not least the donkey the passenger rode to the hospital.
Now just imagine if your spouse/child/grandchild sat next to Andrew Speaker on one of his oh-so-important flights.
Now just imagine if your spouse/child/grandchild dies because Andrew Speaker thought it was far more important to risk exposing hundreds of innocent people to extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis than it was to postpone his miserable wedding for a time.
This degree of selfishness should not go unpunished.]]>